Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS
magnify
Home DIY Electronic Drums Final thoughts “X4L”

Final thoughts “X4L”

Now that I have built five of these triggers (two of which I used as guinea pigs for another ideas), I thought I would try to tweak my own design. Let me first say that, because of lack of funds and wanting to start another project, I will not be building the X4L any further than it is now. With that said, It would not be that difficult to buy a rack and mount these triggers to it. The concepts used in this project could be easily adapted for a bass drum trigger. You just wouldn’t have the 1/2″ L-rod mount on the base and you would move the sensor & plate down so it doesn’t make contact with the beater. Then bolt the trigger to a kick tower. I would suggest using a Gibraltar GBDP Bass Drum Pad and modifying it. Replace the standard rubber pad with the X4L kick pad. Here is a conceptual mock-up (before & after).

Before modsafter mods

The next thing I would like to address is the base of the trigger itself. Currently it is made of 3/4″ mdf, but after a little thought, it seems that 1/2″ would be much better. If 1/2″ is used a second piece of MDF would need to be stacked under the L-rod mount and the 1/4″ jack mount location. This can be seen in the over all “Updated X4L Concept” picture.

Updated X4L concept

Having this configuration fixes three things I did not like about my build. One, the pipe stand-off that had to be used to make the 1/4″ input jack not stick up so far into the trigger. Two the fender washers I used under the wing nut for the mount was 1″ diameter, which means it would hang over the thickness of the 3/4″ MDF. The third thing is, on the 3/4″ base, two half moon cut-outs were done two shed weight of the over all build. If using the new 1/2″ configuration, those two half moon cut-outs are not needed.

Finally, last major thing I would change is the wing-nut. I would replace it with a rubberized knob to give the build the most professional polish I could. The knob can be seen in the concept drawing above. Notice I also give a part number for that knob shown in the picture.

Well that’s it for this project. I can’t wait to see how some of you guys are doing with your X4L’s! Good Luck!

 
 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Reddit Share on LinkedIn
No Comments  comments 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *